John Theed attended Simon Fraser obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1976, and the British Columbia Institute of Technology, where he obtained a Diploma of Technology in Geomatics in 1981.
John began his survey career in Burns Lake, BC where he articled to F. James Howett, BCLS #406. John received his commission as British Columbia Land Surveyor #673 in 1986. Jim’s work was primarily rural subdivision and Land Act work, including retracement surveys of Crown Land parcels, and highway rights of way surveys.
In 1988 John joined Robert W. Allen, BCLS #487 on the Sunshine Coast in Sechelt, BC, where he worked for the next 17 years. This busy survey practice completed a wide variety of surveys including:
- Layout of pilings and infrastructure for the Trail Bay barge load-out for Lehigh Construction Materials gravel mine in Sechelt, BC.
- Legal survey of 70km of the Vancouver Island natural gas pipeline from Port Mellon to Secret Cove on the Sunshine Coast.
- Topographical, engineering, and legal survey of the Sechelt Creek independent power project in Salmon Inlet.
- Topographical survey of the Bear Creek independent power project on Clowhom Lake at the eastern end of Salmon Inlet.
- Topographical and Volumetric survey for West Coast Energy natural gas compressor station in Port Mellon, BC.
We also completed numerous strata subdivisions, conventional subdivisions, topographical surveys for architectural and engineering design, engineering layout of utilities and services for land development clients, and layout of private and commercial buildings.
In 2004 John took over Robert Allen’s survey practice. From that time until July 2013, we completed projects both large and small during a period of rapid growth in Sechelt and on the Sunshine Coast. Some of the projects that we are proud to have been involved in are:
- Topographical survey, legal survey, and engineering layout for the 60 lot Trail Bay Estates subdivision in Sechelt, BC.
- Legal survey and engineering layout for the 60 lot Pender Harbour Estates subdivision in Madeira Park, BC.
- Legal survey of the 60 lot Hope Point Developments subdivision in Long Bay on the southern tip of Gambier Island.
- Topographical survey, legal survey and engineering layout for the 30 lot Silverstone Uplands subdivision in Sechelt.
- Legal survey for the McNair Creek independent power project in Port Mellon, BC.
- Bathymetric surveys of Chapman Lake, Edwards Lake, McNeil Lake, and Harris Lake for the Sunshine Coast Regional District Water Department. These are the reservoirs that provide water to the residents of the Sunshine Coast.
- Layout of the 104 unit Watermark commercial and residential strata project in Sechelt, BC.
- Layout of the extension of St Mary’s Hospital in Sechelt. We started this project in 2006 with a detailed site survey. Our work was completed early in 2013 during which time we provided survey control for the building layout, engineering layout for utilities and services, and layout for the new heliport.
- Volumetric surveys of Lafarge Canada Inc’s Earle Creek operations at the mouth of Sechelt Inlet for inventory purposes using a combination of Real Time Kinematic GPS and reflectorless total station technology.
In July 2013, John moved to the small rural community of Birken, BC located 30KM north of Pemberton, BC. He continues to provide professional survey services to clients in Pemberton and Lillooet, BC, Seton Portage, Gold Bridge, Bralorne, and the Gun Lake, Carpenter Lake, and Downton Lake areas. He has also completed legal surveys in Tatla Lake, BC and 70 Mile House, BC.
John Theed Land Surveying has extensive experience in rural and urban survey projects, both large and small, using both conventional total station and GPS equipment. I can be reached at 604.452.2277 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.